Zim Embassy Protest LONDON
- Details
- Hits: 2107
This protest was a campaign to release Dr Peter Magumbei who had been illegally and immorally detained by the Zanu PF junta that rules Zimbabwe. This event took place on 18th September 2019. Supported by Molly and Sibongile
ZANU PF abducts MDC Women
- Details
- Hits: 2506
ZANU PF abducts MDC Women during COVID-19, ZHRO planning a series of Protests like no other. The British Embassy in Harare has expressed concern over the enforced disappearance of three MDC Alliance activists who were arrested on Wednesday during a flash demo in Warren Park, a suburb in Harare.
In a post on Twitter [14th May 2020], the UK Embassy urged Zimbabwean authorities to locate the missing activists and for the security services to act in line with the national Constitution. It said:
"Concerned to hear lawyers still not told of whereabouts of 3 female MDC officials reportedly arrested in Harare.
[We] Urge authorities to use their resources to locate urgently in line with security services’ obligation to act at all times in line with Zimbabwe’s law and constitution."
ZHRO vs SADC, London Rally Tanzania High Commission
- Details
- Hits: 2685
Read more: ZHRO vs SADC, London Rally Tanzania High Commission
105km Achieved in 2019
- Details
- Hits: 3798
The ZHRO walk for freedom started on Saturday 21st September 2019 at 6:30am at Brighton Pier. The end point was Hampton Court Train Station at 8:55am on Sunday 22nd September 2019. The first leg was started by Rashiwe Bayisayi and John Burke. They walked out of Brighton and up to the South Downs at Devil's Dyke [Photo: at the top] and then, all the way to Christ's Hospital Rail Station, where they took a break after the difficult 37 km stretch but, John Burke announced that he was pulling out with foot trouble.
The next leg was from Christ's Hospital Railway Station to Guildford Railway Station. This was done by, Rashiwe and Sarah Bayisayi, who stood-in for the retiring John Burke. This was the point at which, the walkers were met by, ZHRO Chairwoman, Chipochedenga Parirenyatwa. She was at Christ's Hospital Railway Station meeting point to help the walkers by being part of the support unit - with food, drink, massage and pep talk!
We cannot Mourn a Monster
- Details
- Hits: 2958
We are neither going to mourn nor celebrate his death. We would rather use his death to mark the end of one tyrant. He has caused, has been responsible for killings, abductions and wars. His system lives on. His system is what ZANU PF are using. The AU and UN have not called him and kith and kin out. Zanu PF Intimidation with Food Aid
- Details
- Hits: 2485
The Minister of State for Masvingo Provincial Affairs, Ezra Chadzamira last weekend gave a chilling warning to residents of Rutenga growth point Ward 18, Mwenezi East, that should they remain ‘defiantly’ in support of the MDC, food aid from government will be withdrawn from them.
Chadzamira made the remarks on August 24 when he addressed Zanu PF supporters who gathered at Rutenga, the heartland of the opposition party supporters in the district, for the victory celebrations hosted by Mwenezi East legislator Joosbi Omar.
Ward 18 is the only one won by the opposition party in the whole district during the 2018 harmonised elections. Mwenezi district has a total of 18 wards. Chadzamira said food aid was a privilege bestowed by Zanu PF and could be withdrawn from ‘non-Zanu PF supporters’ at any given time. He said the opposition supporters will for now be given a reprieve which will however not be maintained if they continued to exhibit ‘deviant’ behaviour.
“Everyone should get food aid because there is hunger all over. I heard that here in Rutenga social welfare is not being distributed but I have instructed the DA it must be distributed here as well. As time goes on, we will not continue feeding other people’s children….as we move forward, each one will be fed by his own father.
‘New Dispensation’ Has Redefined Kleptocracy – Biti (2)
- Details
- Hits: 2284
MDC co-vice president, Tendai Biti has bemoaned what he calls “State Capture” in Zimbabwe characterised by the formation of cartels in command agriculture, fuel sector, banking sector, communications sector, to mention but a few.
Biti opined that the crude ecosystem of State Capture now a reality in Zimbabwe has never been seen before. He writes:
"Beyond legitimacy and the economic crisis, the country suffers from an unprecedented, unparalleled and unmitigated, scourge of capture and corruption. The current regime has redefined kleptocracy, patronage and patrimonialism. The current regime has invented its own set of cronyism. A new blend of Mobutism that makes Mobutu Seseko a toddler, in the art of State Capture."
Read more: ‘New Dispensation’ Has Redefined Kleptocracy – Biti (2)
Illegal Inquiry says Veritas
- Details
- Hits: 4949
Parliamentary, legal and civil rights watchdog, Veritas, has said that the appointment of the Kgalema Motlanthe led Commission of Inquiry to look into the events of August 1 was illegal. However, Veritas goes on to say that President Emmerson Mnangagwa can still rectify the situation when a new cabinet is appointed. In its latest bulletin, Veritas says
Elections alone are not giving the Zimbabwe government the legitimacy we all so badly need. This is illustrated by the following statement: “When not shooting civilians in the back, Zimbabwe’s ruling élite seems to be shooting itself in the foot.” Those words appeared in The Economist on 11th August, in an article commenting on post-election violence. The Economist is a highly respected magazine read by influential people in government and business throughout the world, and its comments on Zimbabwe are likely to colour the attitudes of potential investors and many western governments towards this country.
In view of this, the President’s announcement that he has appointed a commission of inquiry to look into post-election violence is to be given a cautious welcome. Cautious because there are several problems with the commission, as will be explained in this bulletin.
The President’s Announcement
The announcement was given in a statement issued by the President on 29th August. In it he said that he had appointed a seven-member commission consisting of local, regional and international members “who have been appointed in terms of the Commission [sic] of Inquiry Act [Chapter 10:07].” The commission’s terms of reference, he went on, were as follows:
#This Flag at the House of Commons
- Details
- Hits: 6704
By Kingstone Jambawo: "Open for Freedom" meets "Walk for Freedom"
London - 22 February 2018 - The founder of #ThisFlag Movement Pastor Evan Mawarire presented a passionate speech about his experiences, economic drive, and constitutional challenges at Westminster Parliament today.
The event which was organised by the Henry Jackson Society was attended by members of Zimbabwe Human Rights Organisation (ZHRO), Zimbabwe Diaspora Community, and Lord Chidgey who was in the chair until the arrival of MP for Vauxhall, Kate Hoey.
- In his speech Pastor Mawarire described the situation in Zimbabwe as dire saying that a 30 minute speech by President Mnangagwa cannot change the effects of 37 years.
- He said that those who were instrumental in intimidating the opposition - denied citizens their choices in 2008 and 2013 are still in government.
- He paid tribute to the late Morgan Tsvangirai for putting up a great fight for freedom and justice under the most difficult conditions.
- He criticised the regime for failing to publicly apologise for the Gukurahundi atrocities saying that it is the responsibility of the government to provide closure for the victims.
- He gave his own personal experience at the hands of the regime and warned that it can happen to anyone.
"We need to move away from a situation where Zimbabwe is owned by a few - $15 billion goes missing and no one can account for it - we were incarcerated for demanding our rights - gone are the days when people remained silent - young people have gripped the idea of freeing themselves - our freedom is more important to us than ever before" he said.
When asked by the BBC reporter about Free and Fair Election - he was not at all confident that these would happen and cited 2000 and 2008 as examples of Military interference (with 2008 being a de-facto Coup - the Military refused to accept the MDC Victory).
"When MDC won the elections in 2008, the missing factor was the ordinary citizens - we the people were the missing component - but since #ThisFlag Movement, people have made it their aim to sacrifice for freedom - Mugabe had said that there are special jails for people like us saying ‘leave our politics alone' - and people like Paul Chizuze and Itai Dzamara are still missing" he said.
Guilty until Proven Innocent
- Details
- Hits: 4866
Guilty until Proven Innocent – my detention experience
A loud bang on the door during a raid ….a sudden deprivation of liberty at a reporting centre…..DETENTION.
Unless you’ve experienced this, you’ll never really know the true face of UK Immigration.
For me, detention presented confusion, fear and anxiety. It opened a psychological wound which will take a long time to heal.
Anticipate Attrocities
- Details
- Hits: 4532
Source: News24 Correspondent, Zimbabwe
Harare - Zimbabwe is entering a period of acute risk for mass atrocities - and things could get worse if President Robert Mugabe dies, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum is warning.
Aged 92 and increasingly frail, the longtime Zimbabwe president's days are clearly numbered.
But he still has not named a successor and wants to stand in elections due in 2018.
Page 7 of 7